IR-2022-175, October 7, 2022
WASHINGTON — The Inside Income Service at this time reminds taxpayers who requested an extension to file their 2021 tax return to take action by Monday, October 17.
Whereas October 17 is the final day for most individuals to file a Kind 1040 to keep away from the late submitting penalty, those that nonetheless must file ought to achieve this as quickly as doable. If they’ve their info prepared, there is no want to attend.
Nevertheless, some taxpayers might have extra time. They embrace:
- Members of the army and others serving in a combat zone. They usually have 180 days after they depart the fight zone to file returns and pay any taxes due.
- The IRS calls particular consideration to folks hit by latest nationwide disasters, together with Hurricane Ian. Taxpayers with an IRS tackle of document in areas coated by Federal Emergency Administration Company catastrophe declarations in Missouri, Kentucky, the island of St. Croix within the U.S. Virgin Islands and members of the Tribal Nation of the Salt River Pima Maricopa Indian Neighborhood have till November 15, 2022, to file varied particular person and enterprise tax returns. Taxpayers in Florida, Puerto Rico, North Carolina, South Carolina, elements of Alaska and Hinds County, Mississippi, have till February 15, 2023. This listing continues to be up to date often; probably affected taxpayers by latest storms ought to go to the disaster relief web page on IRS.gov for the most recent info.
IRS Free File and different assets
IRS Free File is out there to any particular person or household with an adjusted gross earnings (AGI) of $73,000 or much less in 2021. Main tax software program suppliers make their on-line merchandise obtainable free of charge. Taxpayers can use IRS Free File to assert the Baby Tax Credit score, the Earned Revenue Tax Credit score and different vital credit. IRS Free File Fillable Forms is out there for taxpayers whose 2021 AGI is bigger than $73,000 and are snug getting ready their very own tax return—so there’s a free possibility for everybody.
Online Account supplies info to assist file an correct return, together with Advance Baby Tax Credit score and Financial Impression Fee quantities, AGI quantities from final 12 months’s tax return, estimated tax cost quantities and refunds utilized as a credit score.
Taxpayers can even get solutions to many tax regulation questions by utilizing the IRS’s Interactive Tax Assistant instrument.
Moreover, taxpayers can view tax info in a number of languages by clicking on the “English” tab situated on the IRS.gov house web page.
Schedule federal tax funds electronically
Taxpayers can file now and schedule their federal tax funds as much as the October 17 due date. They will pay on-line, by telephone or with their cellular machine and the IRS2Go app. When paying federal taxes electronically, taxpayers ought to keep in mind:
- Electronic payment options are the optimum method to make a tax cost.
- They will pay once they file electronically utilizing tax software program on-line. If utilizing a tax preparer, taxpayers ought to ask the preparer to make the tax cost via an electronic funds withdrawal from a checking account.
- On-line Account and IRS Direct Pay permit taxpayers to pay on-line immediately from a checking or financial savings account free of charge, and to schedule funds as much as twelve months upfront. Taxpayers must be conscious they might want to create an account to make use of On-line Account providers.
- Selections to pay with a bank card, debit card or digital pockets possibility can be found via a payment processor. The cost processor, not the IRS, costs a charge for this service.
- The IRS2Go cellular app supplies mobile-friendly cost choices, together with Direct Pay and debit or bank card funds.
- The Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS) is handy, secure and straightforward. Select to pay on-line or by telephone, utilizing the EFTPS Voice Response System. EFTPS funds have to be scheduled by 8 p.m. ET at the very least one calendar day earlier than the tax due date.