The Protection Division right this moment introduced a brand new package deal of safety help for Ukraine.
This consists of the authorization of a presidential drawdown of safety help, valued at as much as $425 million, in addition to $1.75 billion in Ukraine Safety Help Initiative funds.
At this time’s announcement consists of important air protection capabilities to assist Ukraine defend its individuals in addition to armored infantry automobiles and extra tools that Ukraine is utilizing so successfully, mentioned Pentagon Press Secretary Air Drive Brig. Gen. Pat Ryder, who held a media briefing right this moment.
“Everybody continues to observe with horror as Russia conducts aerial bombardment on civilian targets all through Ukraine,” he mentioned, noting that air protection will assist tackle this, though they’ve already been doing a exceptional job of intercepting Russian drones and missiles.
The USAI package deal consists of ordnance to present Ukraine long-range fires functionality that can support in Ukraine’s protection to assist them take again their sovereign territory, he mentioned.
“We have been centered on a number of key areas in the previous couple of months to assist Ukraine, particularly air protection capabilities, armor capabilities, long-range fires capabilities, after which mixed with coaching with the intention to allow them to have the power to conduct mixed arms operations,” he mentioned.
The presidential drawdown package deal consists of:
- Extra ammunition for Excessive Mobility Artillery Rocket Programs;
- Extra 155 mm artillery rounds;
- Extra 120 mm mortar rounds;
- 190 heavy machine weapons with thermal imagery sights and related ammunition to counter unmanned aerial programs;
- 181 Mine Resistant Ambush Protected automobiles;
- 250 Javelin anti-armor programs;
- 2,000 anti-armor rockets;
- Claymore anti-personnel munitions;
- Demolitions munitions;
- Chilly climate gear, helmets and different area tools.
Below USAI, the DOD will present Ukraine with:
- Two HAWK air protection firing models;
- Anti-aircraft weapons and ammunition;
- Tools to combine Western air protection launchers, missiles and radars with Ukraine’s air protection programs;
- Tools to maintain Ukraine’s current air protection capabilities;
- Air protection mills;
- Counter-unmanned aerial programs;
- 4 air surveillance radars;
- 20 counter-mortar radars;
- Spare elements for counter-artillery radars;
- Puma unmanned aerial programs;
- Precision-guided rockets;
- Safe communications tools;
- Medical provides;
- Funding for coaching, upkeep, and sustainment.
Not like presidential drawdowns, USAI is an authority beneath which the USA procures capabilities from trade somewhat than delivering tools that’s drawn down from DOD shares.
Since 2014, the USA has dedicated greater than $32 billion in safety help to Ukraine, together with $29.3 billion for the reason that starting of Russia’s full-scale invasion on Feb. 24, 2022.