WASHINGTON, November 7, 2022 – Maintain your abdomen filled with turkey and free from foodborne sickness this Thanksgiving vacation. The U.S. Division of Agriculture (USDA) reminds us all that it’s necessary to recollect the steps to meals security throughout America’s greatest meal.
“Whereas the 4 steps to meals security — clear, separate, prepare dinner and chill — are necessary every single day and at each meal, they’re significantly important on Thanksgiving,” mentioned USDA Deputy Beneath Secretary Sandra Eskin. “There’ll possible be many friends and plenty of scrumptious dishes at your vacation desk, however you don’t wish to invite any foodborne pathogens. Observe these 4 steps — particularly bear in mind to make use of a meals thermometer — and your Thanksgiving dinner will probably be a secure one.”
Maintain your Thanksgiving celebration meals secure by following the guidelines beneath.
Clear and Sanitize
Handwashing is step one to avoiding foodborne sickness. Wash your arms for at the very least 20 seconds with cleaning soap and water earlier than, throughout, and after dealing with meals. In a latest study, 97 p.c of individuals in a USDA take a look at kitchen failed to clean their arms correctly. Make sure that to observe these handwashing steps:
- Moist your arms with clear, working water.
- Lather your fingers with cleaning soap.
- Scrub soapy arms and fingers totally for at the very least 20 seconds. Rinse your arms below clear, working water.
- Dry arms off with a clear towel or air dry them.
Clear and sanitize any surfaces which have touched uncooked turkey and its juices and can later contact meals corresponding to kitchen counters, sinks, stoves, tabletops, and so on.
Keep away from Cross-Contamination
Cross-contamination is the unfold of micro organism from uncooked meat and poultry onto ready-to-eat meals, surfaces, and utensils. One solution to keep away from that is by utilizing separate slicing boards — one for uncooked meat and poultry, and one other for vegatables and fruits. Our recent study discovered that sinks are essentially the most contaminated areas of the kitchen. USDA recommends towards washing your uncooked poultry as a result of threat of splashing micro organism all through your kitchen. Clear and sanitize any areas that can come into contact with the turkey earlier than and after cooking.
Thaw the Turkey Safely
By no means thaw your turkey in scorching water or depart it on a countertop. There are 3 ways to securely thaw a turkey: within the fridge, in chilly water and within the microwave.
- Fridge thawing: Turkey could be safely thawed in a fridge to permit for gradual and secure thawing. When thawing in a fridge, enable roughly 24 hours for each 4 to 5 kilos of turkey. After thawing, a turkey is secure in a fridge for one to 2 days.
- Chilly water thawing: The chilly water thawing methodology will thaw your turkey quicker however would require extra consideration. When thawing in a cold-water tub, enable half-hour per pound and submerge the turkey in its unique wrapping to keep away from cross-contamination. Change the water each half-hour till the turkey is thawed. The turkey have to be cooked instantly after thawing.
- Microwave thawing: To thaw a turkey that matches within the microwave, observe producer’s suggestions. Prepare dinner it instantly after thawing as a result of some areas of the meals could turn into heat and start to prepare dinner in the course of the thawing course of, bringing the meals to the “Danger Zone.”
It’s secure to prepare dinner a totally frozen turkey; nonetheless, it’s going to take at the very least 50 p.c longer to completely prepare dinner.
Prepare dinner Totally
Your turkey is fit for human consumption as soon as it reaches an inside temperature of 165 F. Insert a meals thermometer into the thickest a part of the breast, the innermost a part of the wing and the innermost a part of the thigh to verify its inside temperature. USDA recommends utilizing a meals thermometer even when the turkey has a pop-up temperature indicator to make sure it has reached 165 F within the three beforehand acknowledged locations.
Stuffing your Turkey
USDA recommends towards stuffing your turkey since this typically results in micro organism development. Nevertheless, in case you plan to stuff your turkey, observe these steps:
- Put together the moist and dry components for the stuffing individually from one another and refrigerate till prepared to make use of. Combine moist and dry components simply earlier than filling the chicken’s cavity.
- Don’t stuff entire poultry and depart within the fridge earlier than cooking.
- Stuff the turkey loosely — about 3/4 cup of stuffing per pound.
- Instantly place the stuffed, uncooked turkey in an oven set no decrease than 325 F.
- A stuffed turkey will take longer to prepare dinner. As soon as it has completed cooking, place a meals thermometer within the heart of the stuffing to make sure it has reached a secure inside temperature of 165 F.
- Let the cooked turkey stand 20 minutes earlier than eradicating the stuffing.
For extra data on turkey stuffing, go to Turkey Basics: Stuffing.
The Two-Hour Rule
Don’t depart your meals sitting out too lengthy! Refrigerate all perishable meals sitting out at room temperature inside two hours of being cooked, or one hour if the temperature is 90 F or above. After two hours, perishable meals will enter the “Danger Zone” (between 40 F and 140 F), which is the place micro organism can multiply shortly and trigger the meals to turn into unsafe. Discard all meals which have been disregarded for greater than two hours. Keep in mind the rule — preserve scorching meals cold and hot meals chilly.
- Transporting scorching meals — Wrap dishes in insulated containers to maintain their temperature above 140 F.
- Transporting chilly meals — Place objects in a cooler with ice or gel packs to maintain them at or beneath 40 F.
When serving meals to teams, preserve scorching meals scorching and preserve chilly meals chilly by utilizing chafing dishes or crock pots and ice trays. Scorching objects ought to stay above 140 F and chilly objects ought to stay beneath 40 F.
Retailer leftovers in small shallow containers and put them within the fridge. Thanksgiving leftovers are fit for human consumption as much as 4 days within the fridge. Within the freezer, leftovers are safely frozen indefinitely however will preserve highest quality from two to 6 months.
For Thanksgiving meals security questions, name the USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline at 1-888-MPHotline (1-888-674-6854), e-mail [email protected] or chat dwell at ask.usda.gov from 10 a.m. to six p.m. Jap Time, Monday by means of Friday.
Do you may have any last-minute turkey day questions? The Meat and Poultry Hotline will probably be open on Thanksgiving Day from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. EST.
Try the USDA FoodKeeper App, which helps to scale back meals waste by offering meals and beverage storage data. Entry information releases and different data at USDA’s Meals Security and Inspection Service’s (FSIS) web site at www.fsis.usda.gov/newsroom. Observe FSIS on Twitter at twitter.com/usdafoodsafety or in Spanish at: twitter.com/usdafoodsafe_es.
USDA touches the lives of all People every day in so many constructive methods. Within the Biden-Harris Administration, USDA is reworking America’s meals system with a higher give attention to extra resilient native and regional meals manufacturing; fairer markets for all producers; making certain entry to secure, wholesome, and nutritious meals in all communities; constructing new markets and streams of revenue for farmers and producers utilizing local weather good meals and forestry practices; making historic investments in infrastructure and clear vitality capabilities in rural America; and committing to fairness throughout the Division by eradicating systemic limitations and constructing a workforce extra consultant of America. To study extra, go to www.usda.gov.
USDA is an equal alternative supplier, employer, and lender.