WASHINGTON, Jan. 30, 2023 – The U.S. Division of Agriculture (USDA) encourages city producers, modern producers and different stakeholders to nearly attend the fourth public assembly of the Federal Advisory Committee for City Agriculture and Modern Manufacturing (Committee) on Feb. 23, 2023.
“Since final 12 months, the Federal Advisory Committee has been a supply of useful, on the bottom data and proposals for USDA,” mentioned Terry Cosby, Chief of USDA’s Pure Sources Conservation Service (NRCS), which homes USDA’s Workplace of City Agriculture and Modern Manufacturing (OUAIP). “This assembly will assist us higher serve city and modern producers and their communities.”
The Committee is a part of USDA’s efforts to help city and modern agriculture, making a community for suggestions. Members embrace agricultural producers, and representatives from the areas of upper training or extension packages, non-profits, enterprise and financial growth, provide chains and financing. Three public conferences of the Committee have been held in 2022.
About the Assembly
- Addressing earlier public feedback.
- Subcommittee and committee deliberations.
- Public discussion board.
The assembly will probably be held from 3:30-6 p.m. ET on February 23. To attend nearly, register by February 23 on the Committee’s webpage.
Written feedback for the assembly have to be submitted by 11:59 p.m. ET on March 9 via the Federal eRulemaking Portal. Docket #2022-24020.
For particular lodging, contact Markus Holliday at [email protected].
USDA will share the agenda between 24 to 48 hours previous to the assembly on www.usda.gov/partnerships/federal-advisory-committee-urban-ag. Moreover, different sources embrace the Federal Register notice and the Committee’s webpage.
OUAIP was established via the 2018 Farm Invoice. It’s led by NRCS and works in partnership with quite a few USDA companies that help city agriculture and modern manufacturing. The Committee is a part of a broader USDA funding in city and modern agriculture. Different efforts embrace:
- Renewing the People’s Garden Initiative, which celebrates collaborative gardens throughout the nation and worldwide that profit their communities by rising contemporary, wholesome meals and supporting resilient, native meals techniques utilizing sustainable practices and offering greenspace.
- Offering grants for urban agriculture and innovative production that focus on areas of diet entry, training, enterprise and start-up prices for brand spanking new farmers, and coverage growth associated to zoning and different city manufacturing wants.
- Offering cooperative agreements that develop and take a look at methods for planning and implementing municipal compost plans and meals waste discount plans.
- Investing in risk management education to broaden attain of crop insurance coverage amongst city producers.
- Organizing 17 FSA city county committees to make vital selections about how FSA farm packages are administered domestically. City farmers who take part in USDA packages within the areas chosen are inspired to take part by nominating and voting.
USDA touches the lives of all People every day in so many constructive methods. Below the Biden-Harris administration, USDA is reworking America’s meals system with a higher give attention to extra resilient native and regional meals manufacturing, fairer markets for all producers, making certain entry to protected, wholesome, and nutritious meals in all communities, constructing new markets and streams of revenue for farmers and producers utilizing local weather sensible meals and forestry practices, making historic investments in infrastructure and clear vitality capabilities all through America, and committing to fairness throughout the Division by eradicating systemic boundaries and constructing a workforce extra consultant of America. To be taught extra, go to www.usda.gov.
USDA is an equal alternative supplier, employer, and lender.